It’s past time for another post about the Chris Craft build. This activity was always intended as one to learn the new techniques required for marine models on. Because of that, it is effectively pacing the Miss Severn build, and only getting attention when I need to practise or prototype something for that primary project.
The most recent activity has been around the deck fittings. Dumas insist on having them plated before they have been polished, so even though they are chromed the surface is very granular whereas it should be highly polished. Those that come with the Miss Severn kit are the same. Having tried to resurrect a number of them, I’ve come to the conclusion that it actually easier to make my own from scratch.
I’ve alread written about casting the bow fairlead and light in an earlier post. The fairlead is still awaiting plating, but I have got around to plating the bow light casting and fitting the lenses. Unlike the Miss Severn bow light, this one one isn’t functional but the lenses were made in exactly the same way. CAD model – 3D print – RTV mould – cast clear resin.
No ‘Chris Craft’ flag yet. I’m undecided on whether to use the kit’s or not. It isn’t very convincing, but I’m not sure I can do better.
The rear flagstaff and mounting base have also been completed in the same way. As well as recasting the mounting base, I also drilled out the reaward facing holes, as I think this functions as an engine bay vent too.
The rear flagstaff base is fitted to the engine cover by a 1mm brass peg glued into the base.
Other items to come in for attention recently are the lifting eyes. These have been made, polished, but not yet plated. As mentioned before I did try modifying the kit’s items but gave it best in the end, not least because I found they were subtly the wrong shape. The photo below shows the various stages from wooden mould, through rough casting, to finished and polished fitting awaiting plating. The half improved kit item is behind for reference.
The next item on the list is the horn. This is more complex and beyond both my carving capabilities and that of my 3D printer.
The kit’s horn is shown above. Some real examples are shown below.
My CAD model of the horn. The trumpet is based on a simple 1/X curve for those interested. The 1:8 model is about 30mm (1 1/4″) long in real life.
As my printer isn’t good enough to handle an object like this so I exported the design as an .STL file and sent it off to some professional guys to get it printed for me. I did two versions, not being sure which would be the best method to adopt for casting. One is a complete assembly and one in three parts.
The separate items are being used to make moulds as I type. The assembled model is awaiting a second print as the first had a flaw in the rim of the dome. You can see the problem below.
Hence, I’m awaiting new parts to continue…
The process of getting 3D parts professionally printed is something I want to get sorted and understood well. I’m intending to use the same idea to produce a scratch built engine for the Miss Severn model, and a few others I have in mind for the future.